SCSEP - Senior Community Service Employment Program
The purpose of the Senior Community-Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is to foster individual economic self-sufficiency and promote useful opportunities in the community for service activities (which shall include community service employment). This program is for unemployed low-income persons who are age 55 or older, particularly those who have poor employment prospects. The goal of this program is to increase the number of persons who will receive the benefits of unsubsidized employment in both the private and public sectors.
The Office of Elderly Affairs administers this program in the southeastern portion of Louisiana through two sub grantees, Capital Area Agency on Aging of Baton Rouge, and Jefferson Council on Aging in Metairie. Two national contractors administer throughout the state: National Association of Hispanic Elderly (ANNPM), and the Institute of Indian Development (IID). This program is funded through the U.S. Department of Labor.
Eligible participants who have a family income of no more than 125% of the federal poverty level are able to work an average of 20 hours a week, and are paid the highest of federal, state or local minimum wage. They are placed in a wide variety of community service activities at non-profit and public facilities, including day-care centers, senior centers, schools, libraries, museums and hospitals. It is intended that community service training serve as a bridge to unsubsidized employment opportunities. Supportive services are offered in the form of physical exams, transportation, uniforms, safety equipment, etc.
You may be eligible for SCSEP if you are:
- At least 55 years of age
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
- Unemployed or earn a limited income for your family size as defined below
Number of People in Household Maximum Yearly Income 1 $18,225 2 $24,650 3 $31,075 4 $37,500 More than 4 $43,925 plus $6,425 for each additional person
* Some income is not included in income eligibility calculations, such as disability benefits and unemployment benefits. Contact the SCSEP Director in the parish of residency if you meet the program’s income eligibility requirements.
The first priority for program enrollment is given to veterans and their eligible spouses, as long as their discharge was not dishonorable. The second priority for program enrollment is given to individuals with at least one of these characteristics:
- Are 65 years of age or older
- Have a disability
- Have limited English skills
- Have low reading, writing and math skills
- Live in a rural area
- Need extra support and training in order to secure employment
- Did not get a job after receiving Workforce Investment Act services
- Are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Are formerly incarcerated or on supervision from release from prion or jail within five years of the date of initial eligibility determination.
Services and Benefits
SCSEP offers these services and benefits:
- Assessment of skills, experience, education, interests and any added help you need to complete training and find the type of job you want
- Development of a training plan for the job selected (IEP)
- A part-time, work-based training assignment for skills development related to employment goal
- A free annual health check-up
- Training on how to look for jobs, how to talk to a prospective employer and how to be successful in your job
- Instruction in English, reading, writing, arithmetic or General Education Development (GED) preparation
- Training for other job skills like keyboarding, computer, customer service, home health aide, etc.
- Assistance with job search
- Connection to support services you need to successfully complete training, find a job and keep it
SCSEP is a temporary job training program. The program helps participants learn the skills they need and access other resources so they can find a job in one or two years. Some people need more time to complete their training. The program has a 48-month durational limit. Some SCSEP organizations let you stay in the program an extra year if you meet certain requirements.